Thursday, May 7, 2015

I Have Always Honored Her

My winning essay being posted on the front page of the Philippine Daily Inquirer, my country's number one broadsheet, has got to be the once in a lifetime feather my cap will ever have. (Transcript of the essay proceeds the images.)
Source: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=83UE6yvegO4C&dat=20000514&printsec=frontpage&hl=en


"Honor thy mother

THE USUAL impression of a stepmother is that she is villainous. But Mama is very far from that. She has triumphantly established genuine rapport not just between us but among my siblings as well. She is soft-spoken, God-fearing, pious and sincere.

When my mom died, it caused me so much pain. Being the eldest, I was left with no choice but to be the father, the mother and the maid in the family, since my father had to work abroad. The absence of parental love and guidance resulted in a distressing situation. I felt that nothing and no one could change or perhaps alleviate it. Those days appeared to be the darkest. Until she came.

The first time I saw her, I felt a very light feeling which somehow told me she was going to be a part of my life. Her face mirrored the gentle and kind attitude within her. She was like an angel from above. The next thing I knew, my father was asking us permission to marry her. They were (only) 49 then.

From then on, I hungered no more for a mother's love. Indeed, she has given me and my siblings more than enough. She provided me not only with life's trivial things but, more importantly, my emotional needs.

She knew that she would never have a child because of her age. She was also aware that she would be often left by my father who has to work abroad, and yet she still chose to marry my dad and spend her life with us. She voluntarily shouldered all the burdens and responsibilities which used to be mine. I felt relieved and was able to concentrate on my studies more, just as my siblings did.

Now, we have someone to turn to. Someone who loves us more than herself. Her presence in my life made, and still continue to make, a difference. She has drawn me closer to God.

Mama taught me the essence of motherhood--that is it beyond the connection of navels."

1 comment:

  1. My Facebook profile is set to private, so I doubt that the Philippine Daily Inquirer (Official) INQUIRER.net will ever get to see that post, unless they chance upon this blog. But who knows? I really wish that they would finally give the prize of this contest to my Mama. It would be a nice birthday and Mother's Day present for her.

    ReplyDelete

Reactions, corrections, suggestions are all welcome. :)